The International Baccalaureate® (IB) online curriculum centre (OCC), a key resource for educators at IB World Schools, includes several examples of extended essay titles.
These highlight the diverse range of topics covered by International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) students during their extended essays.
Some examples are:
- “An analysis of costume as a source for understanding the inner life of the character”
- “A study of malnourished children in Indonesia and the extent of their recovery after a period of supervised improved nutrition.”
- “Doing versus being: language and reality in the Mimamsa school of Indian philosophy.”
- “The effects of sugar-free chewing gum on the pH of saliva in the mouth after a meal.”
- “To what extent has the fall in the exchange rate of the US dollar affected the tourist industry in Carmel, California?”
- “What level of data compression in music files is acceptable to the human ear?”
Also available in the OCC, the Handbook of Procedures for the Diploma Programme has guidance on choosing a subject for the extended essay.
The OCC is only available to existing IB World Schools.
You can also purchase examples of essays in the IB Store. These essays fulfil the requirements for an ‘A’ grade in the extended essay.
If your school is not one already, learn how to become an IB World School in order to implement the DP.
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) provides several resources for IB World Schools. These include support materials for the extended essay.
Items in the IB store are available to everyone. Publications include:
- 50 more extended essays, a DVD of essays submitted in the DP that all fulfil the requirements for an ‘A’ grade in the current syllabus
- The Extended Essay Guide, a free material in the online curriculum centre (OCC), which requires a log-in given to IB World Schools
- 10 monografias excelentes,a digital documentlooking at model extended essays in Spanish.
Through the online curriculum centre (OCC), educators in IB World Schools can access digital versions of many IB publications related to the extended essay.
These materials in the OCC, which are only available to IB World Schools, are free.
If you already work at an IB World School, you should have access to the OCC. Please request log-in details from the programme coordinator at your school.